SPAR understands the importance of environmental sustainability and that's why SPAR milk is produced in a dairy with a strong sustainability profile. The farms have a grading system in place that encourages social sustainability, quality as well as animal welfare. This shows our commitment to sustainability and enables us to identify future opportunities for improvement.
SPAR's milk packs are already FSC certified — a certification from a worldwide recognised council that protects the world's forests. Our new carton closures are now BIO-BASED meaning they're made from sugarcane, a truly renewable source and are fully recyclable, moving us one step closer to protecting our precious planet.
HOW ARE BIO-BASED PACKAGING PARTS MADE?
- Sugarcane is crushed
- The juice is processed into ethanol then into ethylene
- It's finally processed into bio-based polyethylene plastic
- Even the leftover of the sugarcane is used to produce energy
- From here the production is the same as conventional caps or closures
WHAT MAKES BIO-BASED POLYETHYLENE PLASTIC SPECIAL:
- It offers the same properties as caps made from petroleum-based polyethylene
- It increases the renewable content of packages while reducing the environmental footprint
- It helps produce packs with a reduced carbon footprint
- It offers the same performance as standard plastic parts
- It offers an innovative way to improve environmental performance with 14 to 19% lower 002 emissions compared to identical parts made with fossil-fuel derived plastic
SPAR IS PROUD TO PARTNER WITH TETRA PAK WHO OFFER INNOVATIVE, SUSTAINABLE PACKAGING SOLUTIONS.
Tetra Pak is committed to making food safe and available, everywhere. PROTECTS WHAT'S GOOD is their brand promise, meaning that they protect food, people and the future - through a committment to drive environmental excellence.