South Africa is the first country in Africa to introduce taxes on sugary drinks, designed to help us stay strong and healthy. South Africa has the highest level of obesity in sub-Saharan Africa and the government has set targets to reduce obesity by 10% by 2020, with a sugar tax as one of the measures to achieve this.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH HAVING SUGAR AS PART OF A BALANCED DIET!
However, consuming too much sugar may have a dramatic impact in these 10 areas:
• Weight Gain • Depression
• Heart Disease • Inflamation
• Diabetes • Fatty Liver
• Cancer • Dental Health
WE WILL NEVER COMPROMISE ON TASTE OR YOUR ENJOYMENT.
SPAR is 100% committed to making sure you can STILL enjoy your favourite drinks, without worrying about the negative effects of sugar OR the new sugar tax legislation. Here’s how:
• We are working with our team of experts from our state-of-the-art flavour house as well as nutritionists to refine our recipes
• The goal is to maintain the delicious taste profile of each beverage but reduce the sugar content, by adding non-nutritive sweeteners
• We are proud to say we do not use Aspartame in any of our beverages
• Although we are reducing actual sugar that is added to our products, in the case of fruit juices, we can’t control the intrinsic value of the sugar in the fruit - that comes from nature
• Our clear and simple labelling system will help you monitor and manage your sugar intake effectively
WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN? Well, you can still enjoy your favourite SPAR drinks without worrying about your health… or your pocket! SCHWEET!